Some of the spices used in recipe below are traditional Indian spices and are all easily available in any Indian Grocery store. You can also purchase this Indian Spices Starter Kit which includes all the below listed spices and many more without worrying about significant investment.
Preparation Time: 5 minute
Cook time: 15-17 minutes
Serves: 3 people
1.1/3 cup nicely cut onion
2.1/2 cup nicely cut tomato
3.1tsp garlic paste
4.1 bay leaf or tamal patra
5. pinch of salt (there is salt already added in canned garbanzo beans. So this pinch of salt is just to help onion/tomato cook quickly )
Ingredient for Chhole:
1. 1 can ( 14 - oz ) garbanzo beans (or cooked/salted garbanzo beans)
2.1/2 cup tomato pure
5.1tsp red chili powder
6.pinch of turmeric powder ( optional )
8.1/4tsp coriander powder ( optional )
9.pinch asafoetida ( optional )
10.1/2tspn garam masala
11.1/4tsp kasuri methi ( dry fenugreek leaves ) powder (easily find in Indian grocery store ( optional )
Method Step By Step
1.In a microwave-safe bowl combine onion, tomato, bay leaf, oil, butter and pinch of salt
2.Now cover it and cook it in microwave for 10-12 minutes until raw smell of onion is gone.
3.Add remaining ingredients and mix it well.
4. Cover it again and cook in microwave for another 5 minutes.
5. Chana masala is ready to serve with puri ( Bhatura ), naan, rice etc.
6. You can use same chana masala or chhole with Samosa as Samosa Chaat.
If you like what you are reading, follow us on Facebook, Twitter , Pinterest or Google+.
Sending this entry to healthy side dish event @ Priya's
and to My Lugume Love Affair - MLLA #70 @ Lisa's Vegetarian Kitchen and The Well Season's Cook