My daughter has been making whole wheat pizza for some time now in oven. However few weeks back when I blogged about making pizza in slow cooker in my round up about slow cooker vegetarian game day recipes, she at once tried whole wheat pizza in slow cooker.
She used her usual whole wheat pizza dough recipe but this time in slow cooker. Results were amazing. In-fact she liked the slow cooker version better as it was little moist and soft compare to oven counter part. Slow Cooker method is so easy now she makes pizza for kids school lunch too !
My daughter had picked up this whole wheat dough recipe from Cookie and Kate with some adjustments. I am posting it here with her adjustments.
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 45 minutes
Ingredients to make whole wheat pizza dough:
1. 1 cup water (warm) - need little over 1 cup water but can be adjusted as needed
1. 1 tablespoon sugar
1. 1 tablespoon olive oil
1. 1 envelope (2¼ teaspoons) instant yeast
1. 2¾ cups whole wheat flour (or regular wheat flour) + 1 spoon rice flour (optional - it helps digestion)
1. ¼ cup grated Parmesan cheese (or any other grated cheese)
1. 1 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
Method to make Pizza Dough:
1. Whisk warm water, sugar, oil and yeast in bowl really well then and let it sit for 5 minutes. It should puff up some by then.
2. Mix flour, cheese and salt well. Add water/oil/yeast/sugar mixture to make soft dough. Knead it well on a floured work surface. Dump the dough onto a floured work surface and quickly knead dough a few times until it comes together. Halve the dough.
3. Pizza dough is now ready to be used either in oven or in slow cooker. Below is the slow cooker method.
Method to make Pizza in Slow Cooker:
1. Apply oil liberally in slow cooker bottom.
2. Take half the dough or as per your choice of thickness and size of the slow cooker and press it evenly in the slow cooker bottom.
3. Apply pizza sauce. Top with choice of vegetables and shredded cheese.
4. Cover slow cooker with a paper towel and then close the lead. This will make sure mist does not drop on the pizza and but it will give really nice softness to pizza.
5. Turn on slow cooker on high and let it cook for about 45 minutes.
7. Turn off the heat. Take out the slow cooker bowl and put it on side to cool down.
8. Let the pizza cool down for 15-20 minutes before taking it out and serving.
Similar Slow Cooker Recipes:
Homemade Slow Cooker Gift Recipes
Indian Mix-Vegetable Curry using Slow-Cooker
Slow Cooker Aloo-Gobi (Potato Cauliflower Curry)
Slow Cooker Dal Fry Recipe
If you like what you are reading, follow us on Facebook, Twitter , Pintrest or Google+.