You can make simple khichdi by just adding tempering of cumin seeds and salt/turmeric to rice/dal mixture.
Today's recipe is an elaborate version sometimes also known as badshahi khichdi (royal khichdi). You can make khichdi on stove top or in pressure cooker or rice cooker. For this recipe I have used slow cooker.
Some of the spices used in recipe below are traditional Indian spices and are all easily available in any Indian Grocery store. You can also purchase this Indian Spices Starter Kit which includes all the below listed spices and many more without worrying about significant investment.
Preparation time : 10 minute
Cook time:2 to 1/2 hour ( 4 hour to soak dal )
Serves: 6 People
Ingredients to make Khichdi:1. 1 cup rice
2. 1/2 cup pigeon peas dal
3. 1 cup cube cut eggplant
4. 1/2 cup cube cut potato
5. 1/4 cup fresh green pigeon peas ( optional )
6. 1/3 cube cut onion
7. 2 clove nicely cut garlic
8. 1/2tsp green chili ginger paste
9. 1/2tsp red chili powder
10. 1/4tsp turmeric powder
11. 12 black pepper corn
13. hand full peanuts
14. salt to taste
15. 2-1/2 cup hot water
1. 1tbsp oil
2. 2 tbsp ghee (replace this with oil if you prefer vegan)
3. 1 tsp mustard seeds
4. 1 tsp cumin seeds
5. 5 clove, 5 small cinnamon, 2 whole red chili
Method to make Khichdi in Slow Cooker:1.Soak dal in a boiling water for 4 hours.
2. Soak rice in water for 2 hours.
3. Once dal and rice are soaked, combined all ingredients in a slow cooker.
4. Now prepare tempering:
- Combine oil/ghee, mustard seeds. cumin seeds and whole red chili in a sauce pan.
- Put it on medium heat on stove top.
- After mustard seeds cracks, add clove and cinnamon. Turn off stove top.
5. Add tempering in the slow cooker.
6. Add 2-1/2 cup hot water in slow cooker and mix it well.
7. Cover slow cooker and set on high.
8. After 2-1/2 hour vegetable khichdi will be done.
Enjoy hot khichdi with vegetable curry, kadhi (tempered buttermilk), or yogurt.
If you like what you are reading, follow us on Facebook, Twitter , Pintrest or Google+.
1. Slow-Cooker Vegetable Pulav Recipe
2. Slow-Cooker or Crockpot Sprout Pulav Recipe
Submitting this recipe to My Veg Box-Garlic Event and Back To School - LunchBox Event.