When my daughter moved to Bangalore - the IT Capital of India, she was living as a paying guest and she got to try many South Indian dishes. She and her housemates many times got invited to weddings or house warming parties where she got to try south Indian food in a traditional way in banana leaf. Since then she has acquired taste for south Indian food and she has tried to made many dishes. One of her favorite dish is sweet pongal or sakkarai pongal. On occasion of Makarsankranti/Uttarayan and pongal, here is recipe for sweet pongal using slow-cooker/crockpot.
Preparation time: 5 minute (Not including soaking time)
Cook time: 2 and 1/2 hours
Serves: 4 to 5 people (as a side dish)
1. 1/4 cup rice
2. 1/4 cup yellow moong dal
3. 1 cup very small pieces jaggari
4. 1 cup hot milk, 1 cup hot water
5. 3tbsp ghee (Make Ghee in slow cooker/crockpot)
6. 2tbsp raisin
7 Pieces of 10 to 15 cashew nuts
8. 1/2tsp cardamom powder
1. Wash dal and soak at least 6 hours.
2. Wash rice and soak for 4 hours separately from moong dal.
3. Drain water in the dal and rice.
4. Combine dal, rice and jaggari in the slow cooker.
5. Add hot milk and water. Mix it well.
6. Cover slow cooker. Set on high.
7. After 2 and 1/2 hours pongal will be ready.
8. Transafer in a serving bowl
9. Now in a small sauce pan take 3 tbsp ghee. Put it on stove top and fry raisin and cashew nut. Add them in pongal and it is ready to serve.
Did you like this recipe? Try this other vegetarian slow-cooker recipes.
If you like what you are reading, follow us on Facebook, Twitter , Pinterest or Google+.
Sending this recipe to Kid's delight - Cooking with whole grains happening at My Cooking Journey and to Srivalli's Page.
Sending this recipe to Healthy Diet Event - Cooking with Whole Grain @ Priya's Page
and WTML @Gayatri's CookSpot