Here in this post you will find a simple recipe of Dal Fry or Tadka dal using Slow-Cooker or Crockpot. No need to stand in front of stove for hours making onion/tomato gravy and then making sure dal does not stick to bottom of the pan. Just setup Tadka dal in slow-cooker and you can go run some errands or sit back and relax.
My daughter usually makes this for lunch. So she sets up her slow cooker on low over night and dal is ready in the morning when she wakes up.
Indian Slow-Cooker/Crockpot Recipe
1.1/2 cup split chickpeas ( gram dal, chana dal )
2.1/4 cup yellow pigean peas dal (tur dal)
3.1tsp red chili powder
4.1/4tsp turmeric powder
5.1tsp coriander powder
6.salt to taste
7.1 chopped onion, 1 chopped tomato, 1 chopped green chili
9. cilantro for garnish
1. 2tbs butter
2. 1/2tsp cumin seeds
3. 1/4tsp asafoetida
4. 1 dry whole red chili
Step by step method of making Dal Fry/Tadka Dal using Slow-Cooker/Crockpot
1. Wash both dal and soak them in very hot water for 4 hours.
2. In a microwave safe bowl combine cumin seeds, butter, onion, tomato and pinch of salt. Mix it well.
3. Cook above mixture (gravy) for 10 minutes in a microwave.
4. Combine dal from step 1 and gravy in slow cooker.
5.Add spices from step 3-5, green chili and salt to taste.
6. Add 2 and 1/2 cup water and cover it.
7. Set Slow cooker on high.
8.After 4 to 4 and 1/2 hour dal should be cooked. Mix it well and transfer it in a serving bowl.
9. In a small sauce pan combine ingredients for tempering.
10. Put it on medium heat on gas stove. Stir it until garlic is done. Add this tadka to dal.Tadka dal is ready to serve.
If you like what you are reading, follow us on Facebook, Twitter , Pinterest or Google+.
Is there any specific curry or side-dish you would like me to blog about and how to make it in slow-cooker, please let us know by leaving a comment below.
Slow Cooker Aloo-Gobi Recipe
Slow Cooker Mix-Vegetable Curry Recipe
Slow Cooker Vegetable Pulao/Pulav Recipe